-

Oct 6, 2006

Do the Newbie Writer Research--don't whine!



Some people say they were born to write. I get that! I've been writing stories of some type since I could hold a pencil. Here is my dillema. I put myself out here on the Internet a writer. Yes, I am trying to break into the Publishing world. I'm fairly new to it. I've written for years, I just haven't picked up a book in a store with my name on the front cover.

When I try my luck at the freelance job sites there is a huge amount of competition. Some other writers have several years of experience and a few books under their belts. I don't let this discourage me. (too much) I look for every opportunity I can find. I get my name out there, I network.

Then I end up on these discussion boards where I find the whiniest newbies on the planet. Some of them are giving the rest of us a BAD NAME. Come on. Go to the bookstore and buy a few books. Check books out of the library. Find some of the bazillion articles online about becoming a freelance writer. Do the research.
I find myself wanting to smack around a few of these newbies who want someone to spoon feed them everything.

Yes, I am struggling to compete for the jobs, the resources, the connections. I have more road blocks than many people. I cannot tell on a regular day if I will be able to stay awake and write that day due to my symptoms of my illnesses. I do what I can and plug along. I take my medications I eat right and I keep going.

I check out freelance job boards, I keep in touch with connections I have made through HARD work. I don't whine about it. (at least I hope people don't see me that way)

C'mon newbie writers.... join writing groups, get newsletters, create a website and make yourself known. Work at it. Just like I am. Nothing comes from nothing. Freelance contains the word "free" but it is hard work. Get to it and stop whining on the boards.

2 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Good post. We all need to pay our dues!

Anonymous said...

Newbie writers can also do what I did - start at the bottom of the ladder as a researcher working for a publishing company.